Thursday, February 09, 2006

Something Cool



So, everyone says, "Dubai is all about the money and the shopping and there is no cultural life there." Well, maybe not everyone - but let's say it's the ones who don't ask if women can drive here. BTW - women can drive here and they do it alot better than the men do - but I'm digressing.

Well, as I usually like to bring out the exception to the well accepted preconceived notion - here is a link to a really cool cultural thing in Dubai (OK there IS some money involved - but it's for a good cause).

The thing is called the Camel Caravan - check it out: http://www.camelcaravan.ae/dubai/page6a.asp

These camels are all over the city. There is one on the side of the highway on our route to school. The kids and I call him Camel Dan, and he helps us know when we have to turn off the highway. The big sign that says "GO THIS WAY, ANNE" doesn't seem to do the trick.

The above picture was taken at Festival City when I looked at a house there last October.

I like how the camel is providing shade for the street cleaner on a break. It's kind of like in the real desert - or at least like in Lawrence of Arabia. Ok, well not exactly.

1 comment:

Paris Lights said...

Those camels look great - I especially liked the one that was dressed up as Spiderman!
The concept of having to find shade to sit down is just unfathomable for me right now. I'm shivering in a turtle neck indoors!
So cool to see pictures of your boys enjoying the playground - where are the pictures of you?!
Hope to see you soon at least on your blog!
Ruth
xx