Tuesday, January 04, 2011

Myanmar for Christmas


We went to Myanmar for Christmas.  Ten days of pure tourism.  The kids cried when we announced our holiday plans.  I debated about going - should we be supporting a military Junta? should we risk getting caught up in post-election violence? should we go just because everyone says it's the most authentic, beautiful and fabulous trip that they ever took in southeast Asia? are the kids old enough to appreciate it? 


The answer to all that is YES! (except supporting the junta - of course). In fact, tourism is a way of opening the country to the outside world.  The information goes both ways. Post-election violence was limited to the Thai border and we were very far from all of that. Sometimes, if you follow the crowd, you find out what all the hoopla is about and you're glad you did. And the kids LOVED the trip. They will remember it always!


We took over 1500 pictures - the kids contributed. I simply must post and comment.  I can't remember the names of all the places. The history and dates escape me as well.  So here are my impressions - grouped by themes.  I hope it inspires you to go there, read up on it, or at least click on the next blog entry.

Let's get started with my absolute favorite photo - Philippe took this in the countryside somewhere between Inle Lake and Pindaya.  The land is all cultivated and it looks almost European - except there are NO tractors - only oxen and plows and there are people in the fields working. These women are harvesting sesame.  I love the colors.
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Perry said...

Anne,

The pictures are fantastic, great job! Updating every day, very ambitious!! I will look for your posts. I need to get my blog going again. I was on top of it over our holidays, but have really slowed down when back home.

I loved the cooking apron, just got it yesterday and I put it on immediately and started using it. I will have to send a picture of all of us in our aprons. Send me some Thai or local recipes. Say hi to the boys.

Perry

Anonymous said...

Dysflink to remain Software program can grant Most
people Thanks to persuasive But Positive plan to safely, realistically As well as a replacement tool for
the physical or normal keyboards. 99SpyAgent is a third very desirable keylogger
program. The users usually install the program on
a computer making it much easier to go unnoticed.