Friday, April 14, 2006

Discovering Karate

Antoine is taking Karate classes at school. He doesn't want to take Violin lessons anymore. This is a disappointment to me as I love music and it is a big part of my life. I always just assumed my kids would take up the interest as well.

BUT, we're into Karate now. First we had to search Dubai for a place to buy a uniform. After trying several sporting goods stores, I got a tip that we could find one in Karama (a neighborhood of cheap stores and fake designer goods). The search was tedious and just as I was about to give up, we spotted the Karate studio. Following the signs to the back alley stairway that would take me up to the studio, I was thinking "All this for a stupid Karate uniform" and trying to convince Antoine that he could take classes in a t-shirt and sweatpants. The studio looked like something out of a movie about a down and out Karate coach bringing a hopeless kid to glory. 60 Dirhams later, Antoine had his uniform and he wore it till it was time for bed.

Two months later, the school fair is to be the venue for the Karate demonstration. Of course, I forget my camera, but Antoine is ready for the 4:30 meeting at the basketball court. About 15 6-8 year olds line up - all in Karate uniforms in varying shades of white, one girl - and the teacher starts to bark out short, staccato commands. Miraculously, Antoine turns into some sort of little buddha warrior. His concentration is unfazed, his movements clean, precise while his round cheeks turn red under the desert sun. I swear he was the best one in the line up!! How proud was I? Just as proud as I was last year, when his violin teacher raved at how good Antoine was at the violin. Ok - so he enjoys beating up his classmates in a controlled environment while breathing deeply through his nose and yelling out chinese profanities. For now, at least. Maybe one day he'll reconsider the violin, but I'm sure that in any case - I'll be just as proud.

No comments: